Java : Fact you should Know…..
What basically java Is?
It is not an Indonesian island ‘java’ it is a Powerful computer Programming language that is concurrent, class-based, object-oriented, and specifically designed to have as few implementation dependencies as possible. It is intended to let application developers “write once, run anywhere” (WORA), meaning that code that runs on one platform does not need to be recompiled to run on another. Java applications are typically compiled to bytecode (class file) that can run on any Java virtual machine (JVM) regardless of computer architecture. Java is, as of 2014, one of the most popular programming languages in use, particularly for client-server web applications, with a reported 9 million developers
Why It Is good To Learn java Programming language?
Java is the foundation for virtually every type of networked application and is the global standard for developing and delivering embedded and mobile applications, games, Web-based content, and enterprise software. With more than 9 million developers worldwide, Java enables you to efficiently develop, deploy and use exciting applications and services.
From laptops to datacenters, game consoles to scientific supercomputers, cell phones to the Internet, Java is everywhere
- 97% of Enterprise Desktops Run Java
- 89% of Desktops (or Computers) in the U.S. Run Java
- 9 Million Java Developers Worldwide
- #1 Choice for Developers
- #1 Development Platform
- 3 Billion Mobile Phones Run Java
- 100% of Blu-ray Disc Players Ship with Java
- 5 Billion Java Cards in Use
- 125 million TV devices run Java
- 5 of the Top 5 Original Equipment Manufacturers Ship Java ME
Why Software Developer Companies Choose Java?
Java has been tested, refined, extended, and proven by a dedicated community of Java developers, architects and enthusiasts. Java is designed to enable development of portable, high-performance applications for the widest range of computing platforms possible. By making applications available across heterogeneous environments, businesses can provide more services and boost end-user productivity, communication, and collaboration—and dramatically reduce the cost of ownership of both enterprise and consumer applications. Java has become invaluable to developers by enabling them to:
- Write software on one platform and run it on virtually any other platform
- Create programs that can run within a web browser and access available web services
- Develop server-side applications for online forums, stores, polls, HTML forms processing, and more
- Combine applications or services using the Java language to create highly customized applications or services
- Write powerful and efficient applications for mobile phones, remote processors, microcontrollers, wireless modules, sensors, gateways, consumer products, and practically any other electronic device
Why It is named As java Or how the name java come into existence?
James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton initiated a Project for developing a language for interactive television it was too advanced for the digital cable television industry at the time They initially called Oak after seeing an oak tree that stood outside Gosling’s office. Later name changed to Green as project name is also “The Green Project”. Finally Java name is given taken on Java coffee as this coffee is consumed by all developer in very large amount during language development.
Major changes and Upgradation’s in Java in the past few decades.
Java gone through many major changed and up gradation since its first version was released. Sometime few libraries are added to the existing list to increase the reliability and productivity of language. These changes like addition of new libraries and classes are made to the Java standard library where all classes, methods and interfaces are defined. Some more features like applets, swings and Java2D are added time to time during development and up gradation of Java Programming language. These changes made Java more easy, unique and user-friendly time to time. These changes help developer in coding by providing more options for them.
In 1991 The Project Was initiative by James Gosling, Mike Sheridan, and Patrick Naughton.
In Year 1995 java Was initial launched First public implementation of Java as Java 1.0 released by Sun Microsystems. Netscape Navigator Internet browser incorporate by Java technology.
In January 21, 1996 This was the year when first JavaOne Developer Conference held and JDK 1.0 was released
Features In 1.0:
* Netscape 2.0-4.0 included Java 1.0.
* Microsoft and other companies licensed Java.
In February 19, 1997 java launched its version JDK 1.1 with new features like
- JDBC (Java Database Connectivity)
- Inner Classes
- Java Beans
- RMI (Remote Method Invocation)
- Reflection (introspection only)
In December 8, 1998 java introduced J2SE 1.2 (Java 2 Standard Edition) with the code name Code named Playground java introduced New and powerful features such as
- Collections framework.
- Java String memory map for constants.
- Just In Time (JIT) compiler.
- Jar Signer for signing Java Archive (JAR) files.
- Policy Tool for granting access to system resources.
- Java Foundation Classes (JFC) which consists of Swing 1.0, Drag and Drop, and Java 2D class libraries.
- Java Plug-in
- Scrollable result sets, BLOB, CLOB, batch update, user-defined types in JDBC.
- Audio support in Applets.
In May 8, 2000 1998 java introduced J2SE 1.2 (Java 2 Standard Edition) with Code named Kestrel(The name kestrel, (from French crécerelle, derivative from crécelle i.e. Ratchet) is given to several different members of the falcon genus,) java introduced New and powerful features such as
- Java Sound
- Jar Indexing
- A huge list of enhancements in almost all the java area.
In February 6, 2002 java introduced new version of J2SE Version 1.4 with code named Merlin(first release under JCP(Java community Process)) and introduced new extensive features like
- XML Processing
- Java Print Service
- Logging API
- Java Web Start
- JDBC 3.0 API
- Preferences API
- Chained Exception
- IPv6 Support
- Regular Expressions
- Image I/O API
In September 30, 2004 Java introduced new Version of J2SE version 5.0 with the Code named Tiger and introduced features like
- Enhanced for Loop
- Typesafe Enums
- Static Import
- Metadata (Annotations)
In December 11, 2006 java introduced new version of Java SE 6(Standard Edition) With the Code named Mustang java introduced the features to boost performance and capabilities of java like
- Scripting Language Support
- JDBC 4.0 API
- Java Compiler API
- Pluggable Annotations
- Native PKI, Java GSS, Kerberos and LDAP support.
- Integrated Web Services.
- Lot more enhancements.
In July 28, 2011 version name Java SE 7 was introduced with the featured code named Dolphin with power pack feature of java nio package which provides the power of make pages more attractive and powerful some more features are
- strings in switch Statement
- Type Inference for Generic Instance Creation
- Multiple Exception Handling
- Support for Dynamic Languages
- Try with Resources
- Java nio Package
- Binary Literals, underscore in literals
- Diamond Syntax
- Automatic null Handling
In March 18, 2014 java introduced version Java SE 8 .The code name culture is dropped with Java 8 and so no official code name going forward from Java 8 onwards.it is loaded with most powerful programming features such as
- Lambda Expressions
- Pipelines and Streams
- Date and Time API
- Default Methods
- Type Annotations
- Concurrent Accumulators
- Parallel operations
- PermGen Error Removed
- TLS SNI
For More Updates on this technology visit this blog regularly….