Which Programming Language should you Learn First?
Most people’s journey towards learning to program starts with a single late-night Google search.
Usually it’s something like “Learn___________________________”
But how do they decide which language to search for?
“They always joke about Java on Silicon Valley. I guess I should learn that.”
Or: “Haskell. So hot right now. Haskell.”
And then there’s the rest of us. We’ll probably search for something like:
“Which Programming language should I learn first?”
One should consider the following factors in deciding the first programming language to learn. It’ll be an interesting process.
- The job market for the language
- The long term prospects for the language
- How easy the language is to learn
- What projects you can build while you’re learning
Check out the following survey from IEEE which states the spectrum ranking of the most popular languages right now.
Learn one language well. Then learn a second one.
If you keep jumping from language to language, you won’t get far.
In order to move beyond the basics, you need to learn your first language well. Then your second language will be much, much easier.
From there, you can branch out, and become a more well- rounded developer by learning lots of languages:
- C is great way to learn how computers actually work in terms of memory management, and is useful in high- performance computing.
- C++ is great for learning OOP, competitive programming, software development and game development.
- Python is awesome for science, statistics, Artificial Intelligence.
- Java is important if you want to work at large tech companies.
- PHP is important to get started in back end development of website.
I hope that now you’re having a clear understanding of what factors you need to consider while making the decision and what languages you have as your option.
Enjoyed the blog so far? Give us a chance to create an enjoyable learning path in the programming.
CPD Technologies provides complete practical training on all the technologies mentioned above along with some other advanced technologies like Web Development, Android Development, iOS development, etc.