What is System Analysis?
Analysis means a careful study of something to learn about its parts, what they do, and how they are related to each other.It is the process of breaking a complex topic or substance into smaller parts to gain a better understanding of it. It means a detailed examination of the elements.
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, Systems Analysis is "the process of studying a procedure or business in order to identify its goals and purposes and create systems and procedures that will achieve them in an efficient way".
Need for Systems Analysis and Design
- The process of system analysis and design seeks to understand what humans need to analyze data input or data flow systematically, process or transform data, and output information in the context of a particular business.
- this process is also used to analyze, design, and implement improvements in the support of users and the functioning of businesses that can be accomplished through the use of computerized information systems
Systems Analysis is the study of sets of interacting entities, including computer systems analysis. As its name states, it means, the analysis of systems! A system is which makes the organization or business work. A person who analyses systems is known as System Analyst. This field is closely related to requirements analysis or operations research. It is also "an explicit formal inquiry carried out to help someone to identify a better course of action and make a better decision.
Before the system analyst can make any recommendations about a new system, they firstly have to understand how the present system works? There are certain techniques using which system analyst can analyze the existing system:
This involves the system analyst to gather information quick and simply with large number of people.However, the information gathered will be limited by the questions set by the system analyst.
After collecting the information from the present system the system analyst now tries to find the problems with the existing system that needs to be fixed.
Steps in System Analysis Process:
1. Identify Problems in Existing System: No system is perfect. In this stage the system analyst finds out the problems associated with the current system.
2. Defining Input and Outputs: Every system has some inputs and outputs. The system analyst needs to identify the data inputs to the system and data outputs from the system.
3. New System Requirements specifications:Requirements specification is a document which lists the improvements that the new system will bring.
4. Identify Solutions and Alternatives: Every problem can have many different solutions, some more feasible than others. Analyst should attempt to find these solutions to each problem that he/she has identified.
5. Designing The New System: Using the new system’s requirements and alternatives, the analyst now has to design the new system.